The Made in NYC Learning Lab enlists the creative expertise of the Pratt community to design and facilitate innovative learning opportunities and provide creative services to guide Made in NYC manufacturers towards smarter marketing and branding strategies, practices, and outputs. The Made in NYC Learning Lab provides stipends of up to $12,000 to Pratt faculty, staff and students to teach workshops or provide creative services to Made in NYC companies.
Made in NYC is an initiative of the Pratt Center for Community Development that supports a membership base of 1300+ companies in NYC’s vibrant manufacturing community by giving them the tools to grow through marketing, skillbuilding and community building. We help brands making everything from hot sauce to handbags to bicycles in NYC to tell their stories. Made in NYC is generously supported by the New York City Council.
Call for Ideas
The Call for Ideas for the 2020-2021 academic year is now open. Pratt Institute faculty and staff are invited to submit their idea(s) for programming in the form of workshops, creative services and tools. Selected submissions will be invited to develop a full project proposal. We are seeking proposals that cover but are not limited to the following topics:
- Sustainable sourcing, production and operations
- Package design (graphic design & material design)
- Optimization of business operations and production processes
- Pitching to B2B/retail/wholesale customers
- Vending Booth design for tradeshows & markets
- Vending face to face sales skills
- Business mentorship
- Leadership & management development
- Branding & identity
- Social media
- Marketing strategies
- Development of creative assets: video, photography etc.
- DIY creative asset production
- Web design/Web UX
- Business development and growth process
- Other topics that are related to marketing, branding, sustainable business, Black entrepreneurship, women's entrepreneurship, minority owned businesses, business growth etc.
Who can apply?
This opportunity is open to full- and part-time professors, adjunct and visiting faculty, and full- and part-time staff at Pratt. Current Pratt students can participate in supporting a program led by staff or faculty but may not apply as the program lead. Learning Lab programs can take the form of workshops or services. Proposals can be for the entire academic year or just one semester. Awards of up to $12,000 are available for individuals, teams, and departments to engage in any/all of the following:
- Direct services to one or more companies
- Workshops and other forms of continuing education for groups of 4-30 companies at a time to provide skill-building
- Tools & resources for companies
Awarded Fellows Receive
- Stipends of up to $12,000
- Professional development opportunities in a cohort of fellows
- Real-world student experience with clients outside of the classroom
- All interested applicants should complete the Call for Ideas Submission Form by May 8th, 2020
- Selected submissions will be invited to develop a complete project proposal no later than May 18th, 2020
- All selected applicants will work with Made in NYC to develop a full proposal and budget due on June 1st, 2020
- Applicants will receive final confirmation of proposal approval on June 26th, 2020
- All selected applicants will be notified of budget approval by July 15th, 2020
- Fellowships do not begin until the beginning of the Fall 2020 semester
- Fellows will attend a required orientation and select meetings throughout the 2020-2021 academic year
- Fellows may be selected to return multiple years on a case by case basis
For more information email Joanna Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org
Made in NYC companies as in-class/studio clients
Faculty & staff who are interested in engaging Made in NYC companies as clients as part of for-credit coursework in existing Pratt classes or design studios can submit this request by email to Joanna Reynolds at email@example.com.